Aging in place renovations and upgrades in Norwalk, CT by Rehab Specialties of Connecticut focus on making a home more accessible, safe, and comfortable for individuals as they age. These modifications can allow seniors to continue living independently in their own homes for as long as possible. Here are some Norwalk aging-in-place renovation and upgrade ideas that we can perform for your home or business:
1. Bathroom Modifications:
- Grab Bars: Install grab bars near the toilet, shower, and bathtub to provide stability and support.
- Walk-In Shower: Replace traditional tubs with walk-in or roll-in showers, eliminating the need to step over high tub walls.
- Shower Bench: Include a built-in or portable shower bench for seating while showering.
- Comfort-Height Toilet: Install toilets with a taller seat height for easier sitting and standing.
- Anti-Slip Flooring: Use non-slip flooring materials to reduce the risk of falls.
- Handheld Showerhead: Install a handheld showerhead for greater flexibility.
2. Kitchen Upgrades:
- Lowered Countertops: Lower countertops or create adjustable-height counters for ease of use.
- Pull-Out Shelves: Install pull-out or pull-down shelves in cabinets to improve accessibility.
- Lever-Style Faucets: Replace traditional faucet handles with lever-style handles for easier grip.
- Under-Cabinet Lighting: Add under-cabinet lighting for better visibility while working.
3. Lighting Improvements:
- Brighten Spaces: Increase overall lighting in all areas of the home to reduce shadows and enhance visibility.
- Motion-Activated Lighting: Install motion-activated lighting in hallways, closets, and bathrooms for added convenience.
- Rocker Switches: Replace traditional light switches with easy-to-use rocker switches.
4. Entry and Exit Enhancements:
- No-Step Entry: Create a no-step entrance to the home or install a ramp for easy access.
- Wider Doorways: Widen doorways to accommodate wheelchairs or walkers.
- Lever Door Handles: Install lever-style door handles that are easier to use.
5. Bedroom Modifications:
- Main-Level Bedroom: If possible, place a bedroom on the main level to avoid stairs.
- Adjustable Bed: Use an adjustable-height bed for easier entry and exit.
- Proper Lighting: Ensure there is ample lighting with easy-to-reach switches.
6. Stair Safety:
- Handrails: Add handrails on both sides of stairways for support.
- Stairlift or Elevator: Consider installing a stairlift or home elevator for multi-story homes.
7. Living Space Adjustments:
- Furniture Arrangement: Rearrange furniture to create clear and wide pathways for mobility aids.
- Zero-Clearance Fireplace: Choose a zero-clearance or raised hearth fireplace for safety.
- Comfortable Seating: Select comfortable seating with proper lumbar support.
8. Outdoor Accessibility:
- Accessible Entry: Ensure a safe and accessible entry to the backyard or garden.
- Raised Garden Beds: Use raised garden beds for easier gardening.
- Outdoor Paths: Install well-maintained paths and handrails for outdoor mobility.
9. Emergency Preparedness:
- Develop an emergency plan and share it with family members or caregivers.
- Keep a list of important contacts, medical information, and medications readily available.
Before making any Norwalk aging-in-place renovations, it’s essential to consult with the professionals at Rehab Speculates of Connecticut. We specialize in accessible design and remodeling. We can assess the specific needs of the individual and ensure that modifications are safe, effective, and compliant with local building codes and regulations. Give us a call at (203) 606-8975 to schedule your aging in place remodel today!